The Privacy Terms and Conditions of Psychology Plus
All of our Psychologists conform to standard practice guidelines as outlined by the College of Alberta Psychologists and the Psychologists’ Association of Alberta. Confidentiality is essential to our work and we will adhere to the following practices:
- We obtain signed consent prior to disclosing any personal information to external parties.
- All of our staff members use many appropriate safeguards to protect personal information.
- You do not have to “sign in” when you come to our office during evening hours, although other after-hours visitors to the building are asked by security to sign in.
- We are careful about the messages we leave when we phone you with an appointment reminder. You can let us know which numbers you prefer us to use.
All information shared is confidential with the following exceptions:
- By law, psychologists are obliged to report active child abuse or neglect to Child Welfare.
- If someone is a danger to themselves or others, psychologists are released from confidentiality in order to take necessary protective measures.
- If records are subpoenaed by court, we are obliged to release the information requested. However, if your lawyer simply requests the release of our case notes, we will discuss the specific circumstances, and our recommendation, with both you and your lawyer.
- If you have written permission for someone (e.g. doctor, school) to have access to information, it will be provided. This typically involves extra phone calls and may also require an extra letter or written report(s).
Once an appointment is made, it is considered to be a mutual commitment. As a courtesy to you, we make reminder phone calls one full business day ahead of the appointment to confirm it. If you must cancel, and provide us with less than one business day’s notice for the cancellation of your appointment, the full fee will be charged. If your fees are covered by an insurance company, it is unlikely that they will cover the cost of a missed appointment (or one that is cancelled too late); therefore, you will be responsible for payment.
Please let us know as soon as possible whenever you need to change an appointment. Leave a message in our General Mailbox if you phone outside of business hours. We keep a cancellation list and will offer your appointment time to someone who is waiting to come in. You are welcome to book as many appointments as you like, and as far in advance as you would like, keeping in mind our cancellation policy.